Tuesday 10 October 2023

Invisibles: Ramees, the butcher from MS Palaya



Ramees, originally from Kollam, Kerala, was employed at a butcher shop in MS Palaya when I first crossed paths with him in my early days in Bengaluru. In those times, I was an avid cyclist, and occasionally, on Sundays, I would purchase mutton or beef from his shop. Ramees was a passionate and outspoken young man with strong Muslim beliefs, often pushing the boundaries of reason in his conversations, occasionally making me uncomfortable. Nevertheless, our interactions would extend into lengthy discussions, primarily because he had very few customers.

Despite having only completed his pre-degree education, Ramees understood the Muslim world surprisingly well, particularly the ongoing events in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine. In this regard, he exemplified the quintessential Malayali with a deep interest in global affairs. In contrast, he never entertained inquiries about his family and also he refrained from inquiring about mine—an uncommon trait among Malayalees known for their tradition of first discussing hometowns and family backgrounds.

The last time I ventured to his shop, around 2013, I discovered it had shuttered. The neighbouring shop owner informed me that Ramees had landed in jail for some petty crime. Unlike Yelahanka, the MS Palaya neighbourhood is yet to develop much, yet numerous old shops made way for newer ones, including Ramees's.

Although I never met him again after 2013, whenever I pass by where his shop once stood, I find myself searching the crowd for a glimpse of Ramees. His distinctive blue shop and matching round-collared banian shirt always left a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment