Wednesday 11 October 2023

invisible: Krishna, the sub inspector who want avenge his father's death


Krishna, my next-door neighbor in the studio I used to frequent, was a young 22-year-old from North Karnataka who had relocated to Bangalore to prepare for a police selection examination. Every time I arrived at my studio, I'd find him in the midst of drying his clothes. He'd flash a smile, a typical Kannadiga greeting, "oota ayitha," often exchanged between acquaintances.

For nearly two years, he had been diligently attempting the Staff Selection Commission examination, with little success. Even the one he managed to pass had an unfortunate twist of fate, as it got canceled. He seldom ventured outside, and occasionally, a couple of friends would visit him in his one-room setup. His girlfriend, who worked in a private bank, was the only constant presence in his life. She would arrive daily, cook, launder his clothes, and depart. She was a young, charming lady and quite chatty. She'd occasionally drop by my studio to check out my ongoing paintings. Their families were supportive of their relationship since they had been friends from childhood.

Back in his hometown, Krishna's family owned a vast thirty-acre coconut and mango farm, tended to by his mother and younger brother. Krishna, an electronics engineer with top honors, had tragically lost his father due to a land dispute. His family was unable to bring the perpetrators to justice, as they evaded conviction in court due to a lack of evidence and legal technicalities. That day, I witnessed the resolute side of Krishna, a stark contrast to his usual cheerful demeanor. It was then that I understood his unwavering determination to become a police officer.

He asked me, "Sir, don't you think that once I become a police officer, I can put them behind bars?"

I was at a loss for words, feeling like I was witnessing a real-life movie script unfolding before me. I remained silent, and he continued, "Come what may, sir. I will become a police officer and ensure they are imprisoned."

I wished him success. Nearly two years later, after an absence of about two weeks from my studio, I returned to find Krishna had moved out. I learned that he had been selected to the Border Security Force (BSF), rather than the Karnataka police.

I couldn't help but hope that Krishna, despite not joining the Karnataka police, would eventually bring the perpetrators of his father's death to justice. Though I knew it was just wishful thinking, I couldn't help but hold onto that hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment